Friday, January 13 2006 @ 10:25 PM UTC Contributed by: David
The NPD Group just released it's 2005 industry report. The good news, North American sales are up 6% to $10.5 b. More peculiar is this list:
1. MADDEN NFL 06 PS2
2. POKEMON EMERALD GBA
3. GRAN TURISMO 4 PS2
4. MADDEN NFL 06 XBX
5. NCAA FOOTBALL 06 PS2
6. STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II PS2
7. MVP BASEBALL 2005 PS2
8. STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH PS2
9. NBA LIVE 06 PS2
10. LEGO STAR WARS PS2
Anyone care to guess what's odd about the list or even what it is?
Well, the answer is, these are the top selling games of 2005. And notice that despite the gnashing of teeth and rending of cloth, it turns out that most gamers are plenty happy with E and T games.
Yup, that's right. Not a single murder simulator in the top 10 this year.
A few hypothesis:
1. The censors had their effect and steered mass market game buyers away from violent games while generally helping attract attention to the industry.
2. Violent games are one of many thematic trends in the industry. Sort of like romantic comedies in cinema. Unfortunately, Hugh Grant will never stop making these sappy "Harry Met Sally" clones. But that doesn't mean they always sit at the top of the box office.
3. Gamers are tired of playing violent games.
4. There just were not really cool violent games to play last year. But these year something will come along to sate our bloodlust.